Potato Thyme Gratin is the ultimate comfort food that is perfectly creamy and gooey cheesy with a simple little secret!
This is another Yaseen dish that really hits the spot and of course he made it right in front of me, so quickly, I barely had time to photograph it! There is a secret ingredient that he used that really set this apart from any other potato gratin dish I’ve tasted. Not only was the cheese so creamy and delicious but the potatoes were ALSO so creamy. Creamy potatoes you say? Tell me more.
I mean we’ve all had creamy mashed potatoes and a creamy baked potato but think about it, when was the last time you had a creamy potato gratin. Don’t confuse the creamy cheese but think about whether the potato melted on your tongue. Or did it not melt on your tongue? So then your potato was not creamy and there is a little secret ingredient for that!
Let me first talk about the fresh thyme in this dish because it adds such a nice subtle flavor. It cooks inside the dish so its not visible from the outside so your guest won’t even know its in there! And then, BAM, flavor in their mouth.
The trick to this gratin dish is the type of potato used. Not all potatoes are created equally! You want to use a Yukon Gold or butter potato because it, like the name indicates, has a buttery and moist texture to it which will make it creamy and melt in your mouth! While the traditional russet potatoes are good too they tend to be drier and fluffier.
Creamy, gooey, melty pan of Potato Gratin goodness is the ultimate comfort food.
- 7-10 Medium Yellow/Yukon Gold Potatoes Sliced amount will vary depending on size of pan and desired serving size
- 1-1.5 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2-3 Tbs Butter
- 4-5 Stems of Fresh Thyme with leaves removed.
- 2-3 Pinches of Nutmeg preferably grated fresh
- 2-3 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1.5 to 2 Cups of Grated Cheese almost any grated cheese mix will do, but preferably one with mozzarella, asiago, provolone or parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 Bake
- Add in 2 layers of sliced potatoes into a medium sized Porcelain/Pyrex baking pan (you can vary size of pan for desired quantity)
- Add in heavy cream to just cover the potatoes (should be no higher than a little over 1/2 way up the side of the pan)
- Add in Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg, Thyme and butter (move the potatoes around with a spoon to settle the seasoning into the heavy cream)
- Bake in oven uncovered on the top rack for 30-40 mins, check frequently and mix with a spoon to ensure heavy cream doesn’t burn
- Heavy cream will reduce in volume and brown
- Remove from oven and top with cheese
- Return to top rack of the oven for approx.. 5 minutes until cheese is browned (watch carefully as cheese will burn if left too long)
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving