Smoked Salmon Creamy Pasta is a must if you love smoked salmon like I do. It has a rich smoked salmon flavor and comes together IN NO TIME!
Reasons why this is on rotation at my house:
- It’s pasta and the kids never say no to pasta
- It has green peas so I feel good injecting greens into their dinner
- salmon is extremely rich in omega 3
- If there are leftovers, it reheats well and makes for a great lunch
I happen to be a huge fan of smoked salmon. I always order the smoked salmon bagel at the bagel shop, I always gravitate towards smoked salmon at cocktail setups, I always have smoked salmon in the fridge, I always order the smoked salmon penne at our favorite Italian restaurant yet I only recently started making smoked salmon creamy pasta. I experimented a lot and this is my favorite.
I like to make this with honey smoked salmon that I find at Costco. It’s different than the raw traditional smoked salmon that you’re thinking of. This one is with a hint of honey. You can definitely use the traditional smoked salmon and the results will be great but if you find Honey Smoked fish company, use that. *THIS IS NOT AN AD BTW, I just really love their salmon.
The mushrooms are optional, they add a little extra oomph but the smoked salmon is the star so if you dont have mushrooms or dont like mushrooms, just skip this.
Milk is my liquid choice in this recipe because it makes the sauce lighter but if you want this to be even richer and creamier, substitute heavy cream for milk.
I used rigate pasta but it’s only because I didn’t have penne which would have been my first choice. Once you see how easy and simple this is, it’s going to be on rotation at your home.
A must if you love smoked salmon! This delicious creamy smoked salmon pasta recipe is easy and delicious.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms diced optional
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 16 ounce pasta package
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1 cup Honey smoked fish company salmon shredded
- Boil water according to package instructions
- 2 minutes before the pasta is al dente add the frozen peas
- Drain the pasta and peas and reserve 1 cup pasta water
- In a medium saucepan add the butter, onion, garlic and flour on medium heat until fragrant (3-4 minutes. Do not burn
- Add the mushrooms and sauté another couple of minutes until the mushrooms are softened
- Add the milk and pasta water
- Whisk in the tomato paste, parmesan, salt and pepper and allow the sauce to cook together for 5-8 minutes until thicken and flavorful
- Add the shredded smoked salmon and let it cook together for an additional 2-3 minutes
- When sauce is to your desired flavor add the pasta and peas and mix all together
- Notes *
- Add more pasta water if you want to dilute it
- Lower heat if it is evaporating and thickening too fast
- Depending on your personal love for smoked salmon, add more or less salmon
- Use 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup milk if you want it creamier