Baked chicken & potatoes in lemon garlic sauce is a mouthwatering, quick & easy weeknight fix for the mundane dinner!
I originally did this post for EZPZ meals a few weeks back (http://www.eazypeazymealz.com/juicy-baked-chicken-potatoes-in-mouthering-lemon-garlic-sauce/) and I’ve made this dish so many times since!! The potatoes in this dish are everything! And there is a actual secret that makes the potatoes in this chicken & potato dish different than any other chicken and potato dish you’ve tried!
This particular dish has always been a family favorite and of course everyone fights over the potatoes. Once you know the secret to why the potatoes are so amazing you’ll understand why my mom couldn’t simply add more potatoes to satisfy everyone. If it was going to be amazing, there had to be limited potatoes and they were hot commodity.
My mom usually uses regular russet potatoes sliced into 1/2 inch thick circles but I thought it would be fun to use a variety of colorful small potatoes. Either way, they’re amazing. So are you ready for the trick of what makes it amazing?? ……
Funnily enough, the secret to this dish is a trick that I didn’t even know was a trick! The first time I made this dish, not realizing there is method to the madness, I didn’t stay true to the trick and the results were off.
The placement of the potatoes is the trick!
Placing the potatoes at the bottom of the pan makes them so flavorful and juicy because they are pressed down by the weight of the chicken and absorb all the juice from the chicken and the garlic lemon sauce. A side of rice is usually served with this but a side of salad is just as great!
- 12-15 small potatoes (or any kind of potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 chicken thighs or drumstick skin on BONE IN (the bone will extract a lot of flavor)
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of 3 lemons (roughly 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 4 pressed garlic cloves
- Preheat the oven at 400
- Rub salt, pepper, garlic powder on chicken thighs, cover and put in fridge
- Spread tablespoon of olive oil at bottom of the pyrex or dutch oven
- Layer potatoes along the bottom
- Place chicken thighs on top of potatoes
- In a small bowl whisk together juice of lemons, olive oil, water, garlic, and salt to taste
- Pour over chicken and potatoes
- Cover and put in the oven for 45 mins or until chicken is fully cooked through
- I like to broil on high for 3-5 minutes at the end to give it the skin that nice golden crisp but thats optional of course!