One Pot Sweet Rice and Chicken is most similar to a paella with a sweeter kick and much easier to make.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
You really just need a handful of ingredients to make this dish. Like most of the dishes I make, if you don’t have an ingredient or two, it’s not that big of a deal. There is so much flavor coming from everywhere that it will probably still turn out to be great regardless.
The saffron is what is going to make this dish reminiscent to a paella and it’s flavor is strong but again if you don’t have a few threads of it, don’t sweat, it will still be a great sweet chicken and rice dish. Check out our chicken and seafood paella recipe here for a true paella recipe if all my paella talk has got you craving some!
The raisins in the recipe is what makes this a sweet dish. If you like a sweet and savory dish this is for you. The spices all subtly lend their way to the sweet raisins and tender chicken for an ultimate experience. If you are out of raisins, you can still make the dish, but I cannot guarantee it will taste sweet! So maybe try again when you have raisins!
If chicken fried rice comes to your mind when you first see the photos of this one pot sweet rice and chicken, don’t think you’re crazy, I felt the same way. It does not taste anything like chicken fried rice so the picture is just deceiving. Sorry!
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast cut into cubes
- 2 tbs kosher salt & 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 cup onion diced 1 medium sized onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 tsp each cumin cinnamon, smoked paprika
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs lemon zest
- 1 cup frozen veggies
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Add butter to pan and sauté chicken for 5-7 minutes until golden brown
- Add onions, garlic, seasoning, raisins, and saffron
- Mix together for several minutes
- Add rice
- Add broth and lemon zest
- Bring to a boil
- Lower heat & Cover for 15 minutes
- Add 1 cup frozen veggies and water if needed
- Cover for additional 5 minutes
- Remove from stove let rest for 5-10 minutes
- Fluff and serve