Caramel oatmeal cookies are so crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside and the caramel adds the perfect amount of texture. Top it off with a sprinkle of sea salt and you’re in for a treat.
I’m always trying to find ways to add oatmeal to my kids diet. Only Dia enjoys eating oatmeal for breakfast, the others I have to sneak it in. These make for a great snack when they’re on the go.
Other great additions to this cookie
- flax seed
- pumpkin seeds
These chewy and soft yet crunchy exterior cookies are so delicious. The caramel topping adds just the perfect amount of extra chewiness.
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t cinnamon *optional
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsulphured or black strap dark molasses
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts *optional
- 1/4 cup shredded coconuts * optional
- 10 pieces caramel cut in half
- Add dry ingredients to a small bowl; flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- Beat the butter until smooth using a mixer
- Add the sugars, and beat on medium speed until creamy
- Add the eggs, molasses, vanilla and mix on high speed for 1-2 minutes
- Add the dry ingredients (flour mixture ) to the wet ingredients ( butter mixture) on low speed.
- Add the oats, walnuts, and coconut slowly until all combined
- Dough will be very sticky. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes up to 4 days
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Use a cookie scoop, scoop 2 scoops per cookie. Top with caramel and press it in so it melts into the cookie. Bake for 13 minutes. The center will appear very soft when completed.
Let them cool off of a cooking rack for 5 minutes