Beef and Raisin Empanadas are such a great snack for the kids and delicious enough for adults!
Making the dough is so easy but honestly, sometimes it’s just easier to buy the ready made empanada dough. I do not usually find the dough in this size, usually its twice the size and I just make bigger empanadas but I was so excited to find them this small! They make for the perfect bite size for adults and kids.
The dough is found in the freezer section at my local Persian supermarket. Similar dough can be found at most supermarkets.
While empanadas are not Middle Eastern of origin, they are very similar to fatayir (an Arab bread pie that’s filled with spinach, cheese or meat). In fact, almost every country has some sort of version of empanadas and fatayir.
In Syria and across most of the Arab world, they are shaped into triangles and the fillings vary slightly across the region. Empanadas are shaped into half moons and usually a fork is used to press down on the edges so they don’t open up while baking. The filling varies tremendously from the standard Syrian fatayir, with the use of raisins and olives. This particular recipe is a combination of several that I’ve tried with the addition of my own little touches.
Sweet and Savory beef and raisin empanadas are the best snacks to have around the house for the kids, make for a good school lunch, and a great flavorful appetizer for guests
- 1 package store bought empanada dough
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves mashed
- 2 Tbls tomato paste
- 1 Tbls paprika
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup green olives sliced
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add beef, salt and pepper sauté for 2-3 minutes while breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon
- Add onion, garlic, tomato paste, paprika until onion has softened
- Add chicken broth and raisins
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and let it simmer together until broth has mostly dried out
- Add filling into the center of the dough and top with green olive
- Fold over, using a fork to secure the edges
- Bake in the oven according to package instructions