No Bake Chocolate Salami Cake aka “Success” pronounced Sook-say is a super simple no bake lazy cake that is the perfect cake or cookie to eat with your morning coffee.
If you’ve ever attended a Syrian birthday party or special event then you have seen these cookies on the table. Success, pronounced sook-say are french inspired but also a very popular Italian cookie. The French ruled over Syria for a long time so there is a lot of French influence in the Syrian dialect, food and architecture in the country. I would safely say one of the most important things Syria inherited from the French occupation is this no bake chocolate salami. Absolutely.
This cake/cookie comes together in no time and the best part is it requires no baking. No baking! There is something to be said about not turning on the oven and playing the waiting game. I clearly love no bake desserts, check out my other favorite no bake dessert if you have not already. It’s not even just desserts that I love to not bake, it’s anything really. It’s just so much easier to not deal with the stove or oven. This is another favorite no bake appetizer that are just so addicting.
Bake it “soon-say”! Just pop it in the freezer for some time to allow it harden and then voila. Cut it up into the desired thickness and serve. It’s for this reason that this cookie makes it’s way at every gathering table, along side the kibbeh, grape leaves, fatayir, and creme brûlée. Comment below if you know what I am talking about! I’m currently working on digging up some old pictures of what a standard Syrian food table looks like at a gathering. Be sure to check back to see those!
Success (pronounced sook-say) are a French style delicious chocolatey butter cookie that requires no baking and has a unique, beautiful look. The perfect make ahead cookie comes together in minutes and is always a crowd favorite!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup warm water or milk
- 2/3 cup salted butter
- 3 4.9 oz packages butter biscuits like Maria’s, broken into big pieces
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and cocoa powder. Add warm water and continue to whisk until combined.
- Add mixture to saucepan. Over low heat, stir in butter and stir until sugar and butter melt and mixture has thickened, about 5-10 min.
- In a large bowl, break cookie biscuits into about 4 pieces each, a little smaller is fine too, it doesn’t have to be perfect at all.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cookie biscuits and stir until they are all completely coated.
- Prepare a 24 inch long piece of plastic wrap and hold it horizontally on your counter. Place the cookie mix in the center of the plastic wrap lengthwise horizontally like a log. Bring the wrap over the mix and start to compact the ingredients into a roll. Fold the other side tightly over as well so it creates a log almost like a salami. Then you will compress the mix as tightly as you can so it hold together really well. Your log should be about 12 inches long.
- Freeze the log for about an hour. Remove from the freezer. It should be hard. Cut into slices and eat like a cookie.